* Access to Facebook, WhatsApp, others is restricted -NetBlocks

* Sunday protests have largely died down

* Dozens still detained – rights group (adds a Facebook comment)

By Sarah Marsh and Elizabeth Culliford

HAVANA, July 13 (Reuters) – Cuba has restricted access to social media and messaging platforms, including Facebook and WhatsApp, global internet watch company NetBlocks said on Tuesday following the largest anti-government protests for decades.

Thousands of Cubans took part in communist-led nationwide protests on Sunday to protest https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/cubas-president-blames-discontent-us-sanctions-2021-07- 12 against a deep economic crisis that saw commodity shortages and power outages. They were also protesting against the government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic and restrictions on civil liberties.

The Cuban government said the protests were orchestrated by US-funded counterrevolutionaries, manipulating frustration over an economic crisis largely caused by the decades-old US trade embargo.

The protests, rare in a country where public dissent is tightly controlled, had largely ended by Sunday evening, as security forces were deployed in the streets and President Miguel Diaz-Canel called on government supporters to go out and fight to defend their revolution.

But another protest erupted Monday night in La Guinera, a southern suburb of Havana, where a man died and several others, including members of the security forces, were hospitalized with injuries, state media reported on Tuesday.

He didn’t say what caused the death. No other deaths or injuries have been officially confirmed so far.

Hundreds of people took to the streets of La Guinera, shouting slogans like “Down with Communism” and “Freedom for the people of Cuba,” according to two residents and video footage seen by Reuters. Some started throwing stones at the security forces who eventually fired back, said Waldo Herrera, a 49-year-old resident.

“I think the Communists have lost control, they will not have a solution to this situation,” he said. “People are tired of so much humiliation, so much repression.”

A Reuters witness saw dozens of people carrying sticks leave La Guinera on Monday evening.

Activists say the government is using rapid reaction brigades – government-organized civilian recruit gangs – to counter protesters.

MOBILE INTERNET FAILURES

They also accuse the government of trying to disrupt communications. Introduced just over two years ago, the mobile internet has been a key driver of the protests, giving Cubans a greater platform to voice their frustrations and allowing the word to pass quickly when people are on the streets. .

In the capital, there have been regular and atypical mobile internet cuts since Sunday, according to Reuters witnesses.

London-based NetBlocks said on its website that Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram and Telegram in Cuba were partially disrupted on Monday and Tuesday.

“The pattern of restrictions seen in Cuba indicates a continued crackdown on messaging platforms used to organize and share information about protests in real time,” said NetBlocks director Alp Toker. “At the same time, some connectivity is preserved to maintain a semblance of normalcy.”

Facebook Inc, owner of Instagram and WhatsApp, said it was concerned about the restriction of its services in Cuba, in a statement to Reuters on Tuesday evening.

“We oppose shutdowns, limitation and other internet disruptions that limit our community’s debate. We hope that connectivity will be restored as soon as possible so that Cubans can communicate with their family and friends.” Facebook spokesperson Joe Osborne said.

When asked if the government was intentionally restricting internet connections, Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez told a press briefing that the situation was “complicated”. He said power outages could impact telecommunications services and that “Cuba would never give up the right to defend itself.”

Telegram did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Twitter Inc said it found no blocking of its service.

“Our weapon is the Internet. If they take the Internet away from us, we are not armed,” said Gino Ocumares, a resident of Havana, as he tried unsuccessfully to connect to the Internet at a point of sale. government Wi-Fi access. “The government doesn’t want people to see the truth.”

‘PROVOCATION’

The protest in La Guinera was led by “anti-social and criminal elements” who attempted to reach the police station in an attempt to attack its officials and damage infrastructure, the Cuban news agency said.

When security forces arrested them, they ransacked homes, set fire to containers and damaged suburban electrical wiring, attacking those responsible with stones and other objects, the agency said.

State media also reported on Tuesday that Raul Castro, who resigned as head of the ruling Cuban Communist Party in April, attended a political bureau meeting on Sunday to address the “provocations.”

Diaz-Canel said in April he would continue to consult with Castro on matters of the utmost importance.

The Cuban Episcopal Conference said in a statement that it feared that the response to protests against legitimate concerns was “standing still” rather than an attempt to resolve them, or even a counterproductive hardening of positions.

Reaction to the protest in Latin America has been divided along ideological lines, with the Mexican president accusing the US embargo of fomenting unrest, while Chile and Peru urged the government to allow pro-protest protests. the democracy.

US President Joe Biden said on Monday that the United States “stands firmly on the side of the Cuban people as they assert their universal rights.”

State Department spokesman Ned Price called on the Havana government to open up all means of communication, online and offline.

“Shutting down technology, shutting off information channels – it does nothing to meet the legitimate needs and aspirations of the Cuban people,” Price said at a press conference on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Sarah Marsh in Havana and Elizabeth Culliford in New York; Additional reporting by Nelson Acosta and Reuters TV in Havana, Simon Lewis in Washington and Sheila Dang in New York, Juby Babu in Bengaluru; Editing by Richard Chang and Rosalba O ‘Brien)

Our standards: Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.



Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.